Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Sweet Satisfaction



This last week I was able to finish the unabridged version of Les Miserables. To be honest, I was pretty proud of myself for doing so. I have been working on reading Les Miserables for quite some time now so finishing really gave me a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment. Les Miserables is an excellent novel and I thoroughly enjoyed my time reading it. Victor Hugo did an amazing job of developing his characters and weaving them into the fabric of his story and social commentary. I of course loved following the account of Jean Valjean's redemption and subsequent life of selflessness and charity throughout the novel, but I was also very intrigued with the portrayal of some of the other significant characters in the novel; specifically, Fantine, Javert, Bishop Myriel, Eponine, and Thenardier. Also, as a French enthusiast, I really enjoyed reading the book and seeing its depiction of French culture and history...proof being that I found myself actually enjoying the pages upon pages of detailed history of the Paris sewage system. (odd...I know) Anyway, I really enjoyed reading Les Miserables and would definitely put it on my top ten list of favorite books.

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

way to go!

Cortney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cortney said...

Pack your bags for the weekend of January 30th! We are going to see the play and the wonderful sights of Washington DC/Arlington, VA! :D

Butterfield Family said...

Master of the house keeper of the inn.

Anonymous said...

You inspire me to attempt the unabridged version! Way to go..now you need to read "A Tale of Two Cities"!

Jason-Mindi-Porter-Ellery said...

Wow. That is quite the personal victory there. The only Hugo I have read is the Hunchback of Notre Dame (spelling?). I am not in a hurry to pick up another one. I think your next task should be tackling the works of Alexander Dumas. You will get more endless pages of excruciating detail...you big freak.

-Jason

p.s.Mindi's brother said that he served you at Chili's.

The Balls said...

Nice read bro. I am very impressed. Did you tackle it in French too? I've never seen the play or even thought of tackling the book. I'll add it to my never-ending "to read" list. -baller